[mythtv-users] MythTV to become obsolete?

Lee Nash lee at compucrew.com
Tue Sep 16 17:00:40 EDT 2003

Quoting Chip Marshall <chip at chocobo.cx>:

> On September 15, 2003, John Wells sent me the following:
> > I wanted to be able to use live tv features while recording a show...or to
> > record two shows at once.
> >
> > I thought Tivos has this capability by default (i.e. two tuners?)?
>
> Standalone TiVo's have only one tuner. I know at least some DirecTV
> TiVo's can tune to two satellite channels at the same time when
> connected to a dual LNB (or two single LNB's on two dishes.)

Correct.  I think most DirecTiVo's came out with dual tuner capability, but
the software to support 2 tuners did not come out until later.  This gives
you all the capabilities you expect (record 1 show and watch another, record 2
shows and watch a previously recorded show, etc).

I'm in the process of receiving another DirecTiVo (series 2).  They are selling
units to existing subscribers for $99 bucks installed.  New customers can
get them $49.

BTW, I do use MythTv for videos/music/etc and the WAF (wife approval factor)
is very high.

-lee