[mythtv-users] Re: Newbie Help with vmlinux and dependencies

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Tue Sep 16 17:18:36 EDT 2003

On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 08:47:24PM -0700, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:

> >That should not be necessary, and if it were you should kick my ass to
> >fix it. ;)
>
> I'm currently kicking his ass. ;)
>
> We're working on it, but it isn't happening on Axel's end. I've got two
> slightly different variations with single and dual proc machines on my
> end though. We'll keep everyone posted...

Many thanks to Jarod for finding a nasty apt bug (you need to swap the
order of the to be installed packages, otherwise apt blindly installs
any package matching the constraints even though the following package
would suffice), and for disclosing some atrpms bug dependecies for
flavoured kernel & kernel modules (e.g. smp or bigmem users, probably
only Jarod ;).

Jarod will update the guide to include the apt workaround, and I will
rebuild flavoured modules. In the meantime do the following:

a) Install with
apt-get install something-kmdl-`uname -r` something
instead of
apt-get install  something something-kmdl-`uname -r`

b) If you use smp or bigmem kernels, some kmdl falsly depend also on
   the 'up' kernel (the normal one). Install that kernel, too, until I
   will have fixed it.
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de