[mythtv-users] MythAuto?

Kent Williams kent2 at optusnet.com.au
Tue Sep 16 15:10:31 EDT 2003

I'm looking to do something vaguely similar, however not in the car. We've got a few houses connected via wireless. At one place there will be a master backend with a couple of tuners, to this there will be one or two frontends directly connected via ethernet.

Now the interesting part which is related somewhat to what you are looking into ...

There will be a few fontends that are connected via the wireless. From these clients live TV isn't really important. We are more after sharing recordings, which will all be recorded back at the main backend, however, all frontends will be able schedule new recordings. So far this is all currently possible. However, as viewing recordings over the wireless won't be possible in realtime, I'm looking for some way to buffer or precopy recordings of interest. I envisage something like the wireless frontend being able to browse recordings on the master backend and select those which they'd like to view. These would then be copied locally, ready to be watched. Further to this, each wireless frontend could nominate favourite shows that will automatically be copied from the master backend one the show is over, ready for immediate viewing, all in a way that is usable by a non tech user. I don't want to mirror the entire backend as this would require substantial disk space at each location and secondly it is a waste of bandwidth. We currently have a linux box doing routing for the wireless network at each location so achieving this setup with some sort of slave backend isn't a problem.

I welcome any thought or comments on this setup.

Cheers,
Kent