[mythtv-users] MythTV to become obsolete?

Shay - MythTV mythtv at highstyleweb.com
Mon Sep 15 16:00:05 EDT 2003

At 02:42 PM 9/15/2003, you wrote:
>Shay - MythTV said:
> > You can go that route if you have a large CPU.  The ATI's let the CPU do
> > the encoding, while the PVR-250/350's do it onboard, which is why so many
> > people get them.
>
>Hmmm...I've got the CPU (Athlon 2200) but can't seem to get very good
>video quality out of the ATI TV Wonder or WinTV GO cards... :(

Well, I've also heard dubious things about the support of the ATI Wonders
with Linux.

Personally, I'd just stick with the PVR's..  that way you could add even
more later on and not worry about the CPU..  you could also take the 2200
and use it as your main computer, if it's currently slower, and get a
cheaper cpu for your MythTV.   I actually went out and bought the same
motherboard that I currently had, took the CPU out and put it in the
MythTV, and upgraded my main cpu.. Since I was going to do it anyway, the
whole motherboard/cpu only cost me $30 for the MythTV..