[mythtv-users] MythTV At Trade Show

Joe MacDonald jamacdon at hwy97.com
Mon Sep 15 12:23:15 EDT 2003

I had a booth setup at a home and garden trade show this weekend to
display some of hardware my company sells.

Just for fun I took a MythTV box with me and set it up on a 17" monitor.

The box is a Pundit with a PVR-250 in it. I had it setup with no mouse
or keyboard, just the remote. It was a great leader to get people to
look at my other products and a lot of people (Non techies by the way)
thought it was an awesome product.

It was hard to demo the live TV features as I had no reception at the
show, but most people understood the concept. The biggest/coolest
features people liked were:

-No VCR tapes to deal with
-Online TV schedule
-Graphics on TV while playing music

I did not sell any, and I did not plan on it. I just wanted to see what
the average non-tech person thought of it as an appliance point of few.

Generally everyone liked it except for when it crashed twice and when i
told them the price. I had it estimated to be $730US which includes all
hardware, installation and support. The biggest factor is support.

I think the work that has been done on MythTV is awesome, but I don't
think MythTV is quite ready for the average home user yet.

--
Joe MacDonald
jamacdon at hwy97.com
Focus Computer Consulting