[mythtv-users] Extract MP3 from MPEG2 or Nupple Video stream?

Ramon Redondo malinon at mchsi.com
Mon Sep 15 14:01:56 EDT 2003

> I'll answer my own question, on the assumption my test file will be a
> proper MP3 when I'm done.  Once I used tcextract with the above
> command line to pull out the MPEG audio layer, I then ran it through
> 'lame --mp1input file.in file.out' and it spit out a spiffy MP3 audio
> copy.
>
> Now if someone can tell me how to cut the commercials out via the cut
> list, without re-encoding the master tv file, I'll really be happy and
> many more concerts on MTV/MuchMusic will make it to my portable
> jukebox. :)

See Chris Petersen's earlier response to this thread.  You can use the
new MythTranscode to output the raw streams, and pump the PCM stream
directly into an encoder.  Since you'd be using the transcoder to output
raw streams, you wouldn't be losing quality.  And MythTranscode has a
flag to honor the commercial cutlist.