[mythtv-users] Extracting Mpeg2 streams from NUV (for DVD playback)

Roy Hooper rhooper at toybox.ca
Mon Sep 15 14:43:58 EDT 2003

Hi!

I'm starting to work on the ability to extract PVR-250 Mpeg-2 streams
from .NUV and prepare them for burning to DVD in a format playable by
any DVD player.  Ideally, I want to do this without re-encoding the files.

I've been digging around in google, the list archives, looked at
mythtranscode, and nuvexport, and see nothing that will do what I want
(reliably).  Mythtransocde/nuvexport, while very promising, decode the
streams.

I've successfully extracted the mp2/3 audio and the mpeg2 video from the
.nuv using tcextract, however when remuxing them with tcmplex, the audio
is usually out of sync.  dcdemux always barfs with
(demuxer.c) invalid program stream packet size (1984/2048)
and the result, while "file" says its an mpeg system stream, the result
is unplayable under windows where I have a known working and fairly
picky Mpeg-2 player (good for testing pre-dvd creation)...  However, the
tcextract and then remuxed versions play fine, but with audio sync issues.

Any advice on where to look/start would be hugely appreciated.  I'm sure
I can't be the only person who wants to archive PVR-250 recorded shows
to regular DVD format?

Roy