[mythtv-users] Is there a card that will tune in digital cable tv channels?

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Mon Sep 15 01:21:31 EDT 2003

At 11:40 PM 9/14/2003 -0700, Sean, Sharon and Kyle Harbour wrote:
>I'm a mite confused. Apparently digital cable TV channels are not the
>same as HDTV digital channels, or are they?

You are correct; the two are different.

>Is there a tuner card out
>there, hopefully with linux/MythTV drivers, that can tune in digital
>cable tv channels?

No.

>  Right now I have Comcast cable service in
>Portland, Oregon, and I use a General Instrument digital tuner box to
>access all channels over 125. I'd like to just get rid of the box if
>possible. What are my alternatives?

None that involve getting rid of the box. Basically, you need to get a
capcard that has Composite in and feed the Composite out from the GI box
(and the accompanying audio) to the capcard. Then you use either a direct
serial connection to the box or an IR Blaster (depends on details you
didn't include) to let Myth change channels on the GI box.

There is a bit of information about the IR Blaster approach in the MythTV
HowTo. If you search the archives of this list, you'll find more about both
it and the serial-cable method. Because there is not a single, standard
solution (specifically to the channel-changing question), there is no
"one-stop shopping" answer along the lines of a HowTo or a FAQ.