[mythtv-users] pvr 350, cle266, xvmc.....

Jason Schloer schloer.jason at tangoinc.com
Fri Sep 12 16:50:35 EDT 2003

So I understand that all three of those are hardware decoders, but my
question is which is likely to be the best? I know that the xvmc and
cle266 decoders only allow for 16 color overlays which must make the
look of the OSD horrible for all but the most basic themes. Does the PVR
350 have the same limitation or do overlaying at all? Does the PVR 350
do like the old video cards where you give it the video window
dimensions and then draw with some keyed color and it then draws the
video on top of that color?(Not sure if that made sense, but if you've
seen it you probably know what I'm talking about) Also does anyone have
any experience with the output quality? I guess it doesn't matter too
much, but in the end I'd like to have a backend getting HDTV streams and
a relatively lightweight frontend displaying them. I figure the only way
to do that at this point is with a nice hardware decoder. Anyway, thanks
for any info and thanks for the hard work everyone. As soon as my job
slows down a bit I'd love to contribute some stuff.

Jason Schloer