[mythtv-users] PVR-250 and file size, how to reduce ?

Hirendra Hindocha hiren_hindocha at comcast.net
Thu Sep 11 23:39:15 EDT 2003

Hello ,

I recently added a PVR-250 to my PC which has a WinTV and WinTV
dbx. Everything seems to be working ok, except the file size of
the recorded programs. With the PVR-250 the files are around 4GB
per hour, with the WinTVs I was getting around 700 MB per hour.
Is there a way to reduce the size to around 600-700 MB using
PVR-250 ?
I tried setting up the transcoding feature, but the files ended
up being even larger - 11 GB or so and the transcoding process
chewed up all the CPU time. If possible, I'd like to be able
schedule the transcoding process to the early hours and make the
size more manageable.

My setup is -
RH 9
MythtV 0.11

My fallback option is to make the PVR-250 the last card to be
accessed instead of the first.

Hiren