[mythtv-users] Re: TV-Out: AITech Scan Converter vs CX2587x

martin dollenkp at island.net
Thu Sep 11 20:52:18 EDT 2003

On Thursday 11 September 2003 ph:28, Fred wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-09-11 at 15:28, martin dollenkp wrote:
> > Look for Scan-do and Extron, they very good I think the Scan-do has a
> > better picture than my Extron though.
> >
> > Good scan converters cost over a thousand dollars but you can get older
> > models on ebay cheap, I picked up a Scan-do 1024 for $36 on ebay, but
> > watch out, lots don't come with power supplies when you see them for
> > cheap, the Scan-do can be hooked up to your computer power supply because
> > it is +5 volts.
>
> Huh.  I just took a look around at this class of converters on eBay.  I
> want to use component outputs but these seem to supply component outputs
> compatible with Betacam & MII, which are not necessarily compatible with
> consumer grade component inputs like those on my Sony TV.  See [1] for
> more details; also I think I read somewhere the difference is in the
> color weighting (not sure what that means).  Exciting though:  It's
> possible to pick up a $5,000 Scan Do Ulta on eBay right now for $200.
>
> Right now I'm looking at the GrandTec USA Ultimate XP Pro [2].  It's
> only $100 but someone else on mythtv-users liked it [3].
>
> Fred
>
> [1] http://tinyurl.com/n2ku
> [2] http://www.grandtec.com/xppro.htm
> [3] http://tinyurl.com/n2m2

My Extron Super Emotia has component outputs but just looking at it and its
rgbs and different than the tv.

The Scan-Do Ultra and others in that price range have genlock capabilty which
adds big time to the price and is not needed for hooking a tv to a computer,
I think the genlock feature seems to add a thousand bucks to the price so I
have staid away from those.

I have tried some of the consumer scan converters like the Aitech multipro and
the Focus Enhancements Tview gold and tv out from older Matrox and Ati video
cards over the years and there is just no comparison to something like a
Scan-Do 1024, and the Scan-Do on ebay is cheaper. Just ignore the people that
are trying to sell them for $700 bucks, cheaper ones come on regularly.

Martin