[mythtv-users] myth box crashed hard...

Mike Hicks hick0088 at tc.umn.edu
Thu Sep 11 20:34:08 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-11 at 12:03, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, were you ripping a DVD with MythDVD at the time?
> I've had this happen twice while mtd was transcoding a DVD rip.  I would set
> up a DVD to rip overnight, and when I came down in the morning the screen
> was frozen, the network connection was hung and the keyboard was inoperable
> w/the NUMLOCK and CAPSLOCK lights blinking (!!??)  I've stopped ripping
> until I can look into this at least enough to get a log or backtrace.  Also,
> I know that there is (was?) a known segfault issue with mtd that's being
> worked, so I might just wait until it's resolved.
>
> Of course, if you weren't ripping a DVD, then forget everything I've said
> :-)

If you have the system crash and have the keyboard lights blinking (in
my experience, it's been the Caps Lock and Scroll Lock), that means that
the kernel tried to output an "Oops" message to the screen.  If you have
a repeatable setup, a good thing to try would be to set up the DVD to
rip and transcode, then press CTRL+ALT+F1 (or whatever text console you
like), and wait.  You should see the oops message printed to the screen.

After writing down the info, you can post it somewhere and people can
help debug the issue.

Also, the kernel *might* have been able to write the information to a
file on the hard disk before totally crashing.  Take a look at
/var/log/messages and other files to see if anything was put there
(presumably, it would appear just before the boot messages for when you
restarted the system).

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   Y2K: Sundak, Mondak,