[mythtv-users] myth box crashed hard...

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Thu Sep 11 16:39:03 EDT 2003

At 02:10 PM 9/11/2003 -0700, and wrote:
>Thanky.
>
>I'll try to keep 'top' running the next 24 hours and see what happens. At
>leas that way I'll know when it happened and as you mention I might even
>see what process' are hungry when it happens..

Also use this opportunity to check reported CPU load at failure, reported
load average, and whether any swap is being used. Since you told us nothing
about the details of the failure, I didn't speculate about the cause, but
there are many possible causes ... hardware (bad RAM, a bad swap partition,
overheating, power-supply stress, DMA problems), kernel (drivers),
applications (long shot, but I don't know the details of your setup) ... a
careful reading of what "top" tells you will not *give* you the answer, but
it may give you enough in the way of hints to make a good guess.

>I'll look for OOPS in my logs

If a kernel-level problem is a real possibility ... from what you told us,
I have no way of guessing ... you should really try switching the local
display from X to a VT, so it will (usually) display the OOPs. Hoping for
their logging is about 50-50, in my experience.