[mythtv-users] OT: FCC adopts 'plug and play' cable for TVs

linux at keithandjill.com linux at keithandjill.com
Thu Sep 11 13:44:48 EDT 2003

Look for DMCA lawsuits against the first person who reverse-engineers the encryption cards to
allow Linux boxes access to content.  Just like DeCSS and DVDs.

I originally thought (and this was reinforced by the slant of most articles I read), that the cable
companies were pushing for this legislation.  The reverse is true: the FCC is forcing the cable
companies to produce and adhere to a standard that would encourage people to buy digital
televisions.  Look for cable companies to not do this quite right, and still cause those of us who
aren't lap dogs to the cable companies a considerable amount of grief.

Here's an example of my point :
I currently get analog cable with 70ish channels.  I get 6 HD stations over the air (NBC, ABC, CBS,
PBS, UPN, Fox) with my TV's built in HD decoder.  I'm paying <$40/month for cable.

To get HD channels on my cable, I would pay $60/month, and would get a single network (CBS, I
think), discovery and one other (might be HDNet).  And I would need a digital HD cable box ($500)
from Motorola.  2 premium movie channels have HD versions, but I don't subscibe to those.

Sorry for the rant, but someone mentioned cable and I've been itching to jump on the soapbox
lately.  It's just so painful to get what you want from cable.  Once someone figures out how to
combine the pcHDTV and PVR-250 in a single MythTV box, I'll have my 6 HD channels and my
analog cable all in one place.  Ah, mythical convergence, indeed!

Keith C