[mythtv-users] Myth in a "viewer only" configuration?

Alan Snyder ax763 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 11 11:58:16 EDT 2003

It would be possible to do this if your video card
supported two
*independent* heads.  Most don't.

With an nvidia card, you can specify a mode in your X
configuration (see the
nvidia README) in which the TV and VGA make up the
left half and right half
(or vice versa, or maybe even top/bottom) of a wide
desktop.  You can then
specify the GUI width in Myth so that it fills only
the TV.  Your only
remaining issue would be that newly started
applications could initially
display on top of myth until you move them.  In
windows, nvidia provides
some desktop management capabilities to force
applications onto one side or
the other.  You may be able to do that as well using
nvidia config or window
placement switches on X apps.

Of Grant Totten
> Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2003 12:48 PM
> To: Discussion about mythtv
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Myth in a "viewer only"
configuration?

> Hmm, another Myth configuration question:
>

> Is it possible to run Myth in a dual-monitor mode?
I'd like
> to be able
>
> to have one video-out connected to the TV for
viewing, and another

> connected to a monitor.  Then I could have video
running on
> my TV and a
>
> nice little LCD monitor close at hand with a
keyboard+mouse for doing

> IMDB searches, etc.
>

> Has this configuration been considered?
>

> Speaking of such things, is there a "preferred"
TV-out card for Myth

> use?  I've got S-Video in on my home theatre.
>

> Getting quite excited about this Myth thing,
>
> Grant
>

> Edward Wildgoose wrote:
>

> >>2.  I've browsed the "cards" information in the
DVB support of Myth
> >>CVS
>
> >>and as far as I can tell, the Twinhan cards aren't

> supported.  Someone
>
> >>please correct me on this if I'm wrong.
>

> >Well technically NO dvb cards are supported yet.
The
> reality is that
> >if you are prepared to read the list archives very
carefully
> and follow
> >Kenneth's latest patches, and basically get your
hands quite dirty
> >then, "yes" if it works with the linuxtv.org
drivers then it should
> >work OK with Myth
>

> >If you aren't happy about digging that deeply then
> strongly suggest
> >sitting this out for a couple of weeks, when
hopefully this

mythtv-users at mythtv.org