[mythtv-users] Re: blanking screen

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Thu Sep 11 03:50:41 EDT 2003

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003, Robert Wiegand wrote:

> Does anyone know if there are plans to make MythTV work with
> screen blanking enabled?

That is a question I have also had but haven't asked yet since it seemed
so obvious I figured it was a FAQ somewhere but after following the list a
month or two and working through the archives I still haven't seen a good
reason.  I have fell asleep a couple of times now and woke up to see a
menu that had been on the screen a few hours.  Good thing I don't have a
plasma set.  :)

So since this appears to be one the inner mysteries of the Zen of Myth,
anyone care to clue us newbies in?  It would be kinda trivial (I know zero
C++ but am confident I could do some evil hack to call xset in an
afternoon) to shut off the screen saver when beginning to play video and
turn it back on at exit, and even adding a config checkoff button would
not take any serious effort, so there must be a technical or philosophical
reason nobody has done it.

My set switches itself off after a few minutes of no signal so I could set
dpms to kick in after a few minutes of blank and have the set go to sleep.
That would still leave the amp running and drawing power, but it is an
imperfect world.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris        This post is 100% M$ Free!