[mythtv-users] Browse mode ("o") slowness

Michael Greb mikegrb at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 9 09:15:07 EDT 2003

Ben Davis said:
> Well, I finally got my EPIA-M/MiniMyth frontend up and running. I like
> it a lot :) However, I've run in to several new problems that have come
> up that are unique to a remote frontend. I'll just tackle one at a time
> for now...
>
> My first problem is with the "browse mode" feature. When I am watching
> live Tv and I hit the "o" key and start pressing the up or down arrows,
> it takes about 3-4 seconds to browse to the next channel info. (Of
> course when I go back it's faster, but I'm guessing that's b/c it's
> cached after the 1st time). It's almost faster for me to just change the
> channels normally.

Ben, I don't know how much space you have available, this is running from
an NFS root or compact flash?  Something that might help you out is having
the channel icons available locally.  To accomplish this, the remote
frontend needs to be running as the same user name that runs
mythfilldatabase on the backend.  Then look in ~/.mythtv on the backend.
There should be a dir named icons or channelicons or something to that
affect.  Copy this directory to ~/.mythtv on the remote frontend and Bob's
your Uncle Ben. :)

Hope this is helpful.
Michael