[mythtv-users] creating VCD using ffmpeg and vcdimager

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Sun Sep 7 13:22:16 EDT 2003

> When playing around with a 10 sec mpeg file I found out that the files
> created by the PVR 350 need to be remultiplexed in order to run on a
> stand-alone VCD-player. I used mpgcut to demultiplex the file and mplex
> to multiplex it. The result worked great on my player.

The SVCD standard is limited to a little over 2700kbps total bitrate
(that's audio + video), and something like 2600 video (though I've found
that MANY players - notably my pioneer - won't deal with video over
2500).  They must also be multiplexed in such a way that adds markers to
the file so vcdimager can properly turn the mpeg file into an mpeg
stream.

my "chapterize" script will handle both the remultiplexing and the
vcdimager stuff for you, and even add chapter markers every 5 minutes
(or whatever other you tell it on the command line), though it will not
bother checking bitrate info.  And some day I'll bother adding a --help
section so that it's actually easy to tell which options are available
(for now, you'll have to check the perl code)

http://forevermore.net/myth/

-Chris

PS.  please note the difference between vcd and svcd - they're quite
different.