[mythtv-users] audio issues (was: sounds when playing back recordings)

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Sat Sep 6 18:59:42 EDT 2003

At 08:41 PM 9/6/2003 -0400, John Goulah wrote:
>  Since nobody has a response for the post below, maybe someone can at least
>tell me what device is being used when watching pre-recorded shows and
>exactly what happens when a program is recording that would cause sound on
>pre-recorded programs to work all of a sudden.  Its as if it magically
>unlocks it and lets sound work.

John, this really is just repeating your original question in less direct
form. If anyone had a good answer for you, based on the information you
provided, you would have gotten it the first time around. Since you asked a
second time, I'll take a shot at a not-so-good answer. Myabe it will be
enough to help you.

The device used for playback is something you set up in mythfrontend, but
it usually is /dev/dsp . This is often a symlink to /dev/dsp0, or maybe to
/dev/audio/dsp0 (depends on the particularities of your Linux setup, not on
Myth).  The actual device should be pointing to your sound card driver
(alsa-something-or-other in your case), NOT the btaudio driver (from what
you report below, this part seems fine).

As a general matter, I'd suggest checking your alsamixer settings and
looking for something there that's causing the oddity you describe.

>  Also, does anyone know why btaudio appears to be correctly loaded but I
> can't
>get sound from the line even when its muted and captured? Should I try a
>different alsa version?

As to btaudio itself, it is notoriously unreliable, in that many vidcap
cards appear to support it but in fact do not. Search the list archives for
many discussions of this problem with respect to specific cards; the HowTo
may also discuss this problem by now. Since you don't seem to mention what
vidcap cars you are using, I don't know if your problem with btaudio is
this one or a misspecification of the audio device in Myth.