[mythtv-users] Re: TV Wonder + PVR-250 - I know you're out there...

William Powers wepprop at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 6 11:28:44 EDT 2003

 > I have a box with a PVR-250 and a TV Wonder I'm trying to set up and it
 > seems that by far I'm having the most troubles with sound. (Soundblaster
 > Live Value)

 > In other words, I have:

 > PVR-250 == /dev/video0
 > TV Wonder == /dev/video1

 > PVR-250 == /dev/dsp (for sound)
 > TV Wonder == ?????

 > I have no idea how to set this up. Right now I have the TV Wonder patched
 > in via the included cable from the TV Wonder's audio out to the sound
 > card's audio in. However, the PVR-250 also uses the sound card.

 > Do I have to have two separate cards for two separate tuners?

 > Can someone clear me up on this? My next step is to look at btaudio,
 > which is supposedly compatible with the TV Wonder (mine's *not* the VE),
 > but I'm not really sure that'll be a worthwhile exploration.

 > Any input is *GREATLY* appreciated.

 > Thanks!

 > John

I have exactly the same setup working so maybe I can help.  Well, nearly
the same, anyway.  I have a Freestyle, not a true 250, but close enough.

First, with regards to tuners, my ATI TV Wonder has a Temic 4036 FY5, which
is actually tuner type 8.  However, I *think* that model tuner is
more-or-less Phillips compatible.  If so, then you can get away with the
standard tuner invocation without tuner incompatibility problems.  However,
if you do experience tuner problems, you will need to patch the ivtv driver
to accept tuner type as an argument.  I mention that because that is how
I'm running and my current modules.conf incantation won't work properly
without the patch.  The ivtv tuner patch, if you need it, is mentioned here:

http://www.poptix.net/ivtv/Aug-2003/msg00218.html

With that said, here is the relevant sections of my modules.conf:

alias char-major-81     videodev

alias char-major-81-0   ivtv
options ivtv debug=1 tuner=2
options msp3400 once=1 simple=1
add below ivtv tuner
add above ivtv msp3400 saa7115
#options tuner type=2
#add above ivtv msp3400 saa7115 tuner

alias char-major-81-1   bttv
options bttv card=63 radio=0 tuner=8 pll=0 bttv_verbose=2 bttv_debug=0
options tvmixer debug=1 devnr=1
options btaudio analog=0 debug=2
add above bttv msp3400 btaudio

Without the ivtv tuner patch applied, delete or comment out the four lines
below the ivtv alias and uncomment the last two lines of that section.

For audio, I don't use the patch cable, I use btaudio instead.  If you wish
to do so, depending on your distribution, you may have to create additional
/dev/dsp and /dev/mixer devices (I did).  If so, see here:

http://lloyd.dyndns.org/index.php?Btaudio%20installation

To complete the btaudio installation, next setup the mixer, which is distro
dependent.  I'm running RH9 w/ OSS (not ALSA); all I had to do was go to
the KDE mixer and use the new Brooktree tab that automagically appeared.

Next, run the backend setup.  For video, the ivtv card will be /dev/video0
and the bttv card will be /dev/video1.  For audio, the ivtv input should be
/dev/dsp1 and the btaudio input s/b /dev/dsp2.  The output is still /dev/dsp.

Finally, (re)start the backend and you should be in business!

I hope this helps.  Good luck!

Bill