[mythtv-users] Channel changing delays

Dane Kantner webmaster at dddane.com
Thu Sep 4 12:38:05 EDT 2003

> The buffer is also used for networking. Many people use different
> machines for the frontend and backend. If the buffer is too small, the
> frontend could run out of data due latency or whatever.
>
> The delay actually isn't too big if you ask me.

Forgive my stupidity, but are we talking about the *delay* or the *pause* ?
There is a subtle difference, and I think people are incorrectly using them
interchangibly to describe their issues.

The delay would be the time it takes for myth to play out the remainder of
the buffer and then start showing the new channel when it gets to that point
in buffer.  the pause would be the time after the delay from the buffer is
played out and BEFORE it starts showing the new channel.

a delay is similiar to what a radio station does.... or live tv sometimes.
there is always something playing but its just a few seconds behind.  a
pause (in myth) is a second or two (or more) of a static frame because myth
is doing some background work.

to me, the delay is not too long, but the *pause* is.  the pause seems to be
related to the size of the buffer, which to me is irritating because i like
consistancy (for example, if i just watched an hour of tv without changing,
the time it takes to clear out the buffer results in an excessively long
pause--5-10 seconds on average).

-dane