[mythtv-users] tuner / sound cards for a low-profile case

Chad Vogelsong cvogelsong at intellimation.cc
Thu Sep 4 12:01:32 EDT 2003

For my new MythTV, I bought a "low profile" MicroATX case, the Aopen
H340H here:  http://store.yahoo.com/directron/h340h.html

I also got the Shuttle MK35N motherboard (VIA KM266, AC97 sound, VGA,
LAN) here: http://store.yahoo.com/directron/mk35n.html

For the extra components, I purchased an Aopen Aeolus (GeForce4 MX440,
8X AGP), 2 PVR-250's and a Sound Blaster Live 5.1 Digital.

My problem is that the case I bought is a "low profile" case.  The
GeForce4 card came apart and fits into 2 low profile slots, but the
PVR-250's and the Sound Blaster Live 5.1 cards are full height.  Since
this is my first time with what I now know as a "low profile" case, I
didn't know that it would only fit certain cards.

Eventually I am going to have a full tower server system with 3 PVR-250
cards in it (plus 1 remote tuner, 4 total to serve 2-3 TV's) and use
this system as a MythTV front-end.  However, I wanted this system to
test out MythTV so it will be a standalone system temporarily.

What I am looking for is if anybody knows any tuner cards or sound cards
that are supported by MythTV / Linux that will fit into a low profile
case.  The audio on the case is AC97 so I'm hoping that will work and I
won't need an extra sound card in this.  The reason I want to put a
tuner in here is it's running an Athlon XP 1900+ and I would hate to see
all that processor power go to waste, so I might as well slap a tuner
into it and be able to use it.

I'm also looking for recommendations on a MicroATX case that looks good
on an A/V equipment rack but also supports full height AGP / PCI cards.

Thanks for all your help.

Chad