[mythtv-users] Poof - audio gone

Chris chris.rickert at mchsi.com
Wed Sep 3 22:12:58 EDT 2003

Up until a few days ago Myth worked flawlessly.  I've been following the
project since the spring.

I was finally going to do a comparison of myth and freevo on Monday.  I
installed freevo from rpms and ran it for a few minutes.  Uninstalled
the freevo rpms - wasn't at all what i thought it would be.

But now my audio in myth doesn't quite work.

i set line in to capture and mute it.  start the backend and frontend.
go to watch tv and no audio.  but when i unmute from alsamixer the audio
comes in but ahead of the video - out of sync.  I've reinstalled myth
from thac's rpms, reinstalled alsa, libalsa2, and libalsa-data rpms from
mandrake 9.1 install cd.  I find it hard to believe I've been running it
for this long and now it doesn't work. I've tried both my on board audio
and an old pci card.  same results with both cards.  also made sure esd
and artsd were not on.

Is it something that freevo did when i installed it.  Heck, i didn't
mess with any audio settings when i installed freevo so i can't see how
that could have messed it up.

What do you think the problem is? something with /dev/dsp?

cheers