[mythtv-users] Power off

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Wed Sep 3 15:58:40 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, Sep 3, 2003, at 10:46 US/Pacific, mark.carline wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am currently building a box using a MINI-ITX board and a remote
> control that uses LIRC.
>
> The hardware box itself will have very limited buttons on the front and
> back which will include:
>
> 1)       Power on button (wired to the on board power on switch).
> 2)       Standby button (wired to the on board sleep jumers).
> 3)       Reset (wired to the on board reset jumbers)
>
> My only question is that how do most people switch their box off ?

They don't.

> I would like a button on the front of the box that when hit it does a
> nice clean shutdown

Good luck with that. I'm unaware of a way to do that. It's a bit
outside the scope of this list, too...

> I also wanted to be able to select shutdown from
> the menu option and this then shutsdown the box cleanly.

If you set up MythTV properly, you can have an exit key that'll give
you a menu that'll let you either exit MythTV to the desktop, or shut
down the system. Look in the Setup section within mythfrontend.

> I also wondered if anyone has any tips on the configuration of RH9 to
> speeded up the startup and shutdown of the box?

Install the bare minimum of software you need, disable all extra
daemons you don't need. Personally, I just always leave mine on.

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...