[mythtv-users] 120GB drives down to $86

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Wed Sep 3 10:23:31 EDT 2003

> I wonder if Seagate's readying up yet another new Barracuda to replace
> the 7200.7 (which just came out only recently).  There have been
> complaints not just here but elsewhere about the lack of acoustic
> management on these drives and that's really the main reason why
> people buy Barracudas these days (their performance is a bit off the
> pace set by WD and Maxtor... not that that matters for Myth).

Seagate is making the move to SATA drives.

And the 7200.7 drives DO have acoustic management (they're only 1db
louder than the barracuda 4 series) - they just don't have that plate
covering the bottom of the drive (it was causing heat issues).  As for
quality, drives all seem to be about the same these days (unless you're
talking SCSI, which all seem to be pretty unreliable, especially when
you get into hte u320 stuff - we get more of these back than ATA drives,
and we sell a LOT more ATA systems), though most of our customers seem
to prefer seagate (keep in mind that this is the high-end server market,
and our customers are places like MIT and real.com).  With the WD
special edition drives, and maxtor extending their warranty to 5 years
on some of their drives, we're slowly starting to sell fewer seagates
and more WD (we haven't had time to heavily test the maxtor line yet)
drives, though.

-Chris