[mythtv-users] XBOX DCT2000 Questions.

Eric Smith eric.smith at datacert.com
Tue Sep 2 18:06:53 EDT 2003

So after a couple of months my myth system is up and works great. I have
a backend running Mandrake 9.1 and two Xbox frontend's running gentoo.
My wife is mostly tolerant of my tinkering with the system but she has
two complaints that I have been unable to address. First, using the Xbox
remotes does not allow one to control the volume. I assume because it
does not have a mixer. Second changing the channel is very slow. It
seems worse after the xbox has been running all night running live tv.

So my questions:

1) Is possible to use the usb-xboxir.o module to train a remote other
than the xbox's native remote control? I looked through the code and saw
that it has debug code that should allow output IR signals to a file. I
do not know how to tell the compiler to turn the debug code on or
specify which file it should write to. I have also looked at using lirc
because it seems much more configurable but I don't know how to tell
lirc to use the xbox's USB IR control as a device. Anyone have
experience with this? If so what is the path of least resistance?

2) I am using a serial interface to a DCT2000 script to change the
channel on my external cable box. The script takes several seconds to
run, primarily because it has to wait for completion codes from the
DCT2000. I was wondering if it is possible to call the script out of
process so that the backend does not have to wait for the script to
finish before myth invokes the channel change. If  this is is possible
how I would accomplish this. (Be gentle)

3) It seems that after a single days of use the xbox frontend get very
slow. Restarting the frontend usually corrects the issue. Do the
frontend and backend require therapeutic reboots?

Thanks
Eric Smith