[mythtv-users] Remotes, irxevent and menu navigation

Tue Sep 2 13:41:50 EDT 2003

> Again, we shouldn't try to do anything to reduce functionality, we
> shouldn't force users to make do with less buttons. It's the developers
> that would have to think about how to manage with possibly only 4 (but
> more likely 6-7) buttons.

I don't think this is such an alien concept to (traditional) GUI designers anyway.  Certainly I have been always taught that shortcut's and accelerators are alternatives to menu items, rather than having a bunch of functionality which is only reachable by keystrokes.  So you add in the menu items and the wizards, then afterwards add in the accelerators which do it in a single keystroke

Obviously I'm only thinking out traditional "document" type gui's here, however, the idea is sound I think.

Actually in VDR you kind of have a whole range of shortcuts depending on how many buttons you had, eg only up and down, or colour keys to get close, or menu + number keys, or direct into the function.  Works quite well, but it was intended for set top box style apps anyway.  Myth works very nicely if you have a keyboard for example (I just bought a gyration keyboard to serve as the "full featured" remote)

Ed W