[mythtv-users] Re: A mini-howto for upgrading to linux 2.6.0-test4

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Sep 2 03:19:55 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, Sep 2, 2003, at 00:10 US/Pacific, Reza Naima wrote:

>>> In order to save people all the time I've spent dealing with
>>> upgrading
>>> rh9 to use a 2.6 kernel, I wrote this -- hope it helps someone :
>>>
>>> http://www.reza.net/mythtv/
>>
>> Out of curiosity, did you ever try the 2.6 kernel rpms compiled by one
>> of Red Hat's kernel package maintainers?
>>
>> http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/2.5/RPMS.kernel/
>>
>> Arjan doesn't have -test4 there just yet, though...
>
> No, didn't try 'em..

He does have -test4 now...

>> Also, in reading over your docs, the last part about the grub entry
>> for
>> the 2.6 kernel has a 2.4-at initrd image in it. I assume that isn't
>> correct... :)
>
> actually, i dont think it's requied as the most important thing the
> initrd image does is load the ext3 fs support.  I've precompiled that
> in.  I leave it there in case one of the other commands that are
> version-nonspecific are requied..

I can think of at least one other thing that you MUST have that there
for (unless it is also compiled into the kernel)... If you have your
fstab set up with labels, rather than devices, there's a kernel module
you have to load, or your system won't boot ('cuz it won't know what
the hell the labels are, and won't find your drive partitions :).

--Jarod