[mythtv-users] Remotes, irxevent and menu navigation

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Mon Sep 1 21:53:15 EDT 2003

On Monday 01 September 2003 08:31 pm, Julian Tibble wrote:
> The problem is, who decided that RightArrow and LeftArrow
> would be good for fastforward and rewind?!?!?!?!?!
> Clearly they didn't have the typical remote control in mind.

The remote I use has separate arrow, volume, and channel keys.  There is no
such thing as a 'typical remote control'

> I think that in the long run, the best way of proceeding
> would be to change the keys throughtout the whole of MythTV
> so that there is more consistency between the typical remote
> control, LiveTV mode, LiveTV Browse Mode, _all_ the menus, etc.
>
> For me, that would mean that UpArrow and DownArrow are always
> up/down (menus) or channelup/channeldown (tv), and Right/LeftArrow
> are used for moving right/left (menus) or turning the volume up/down
> (tv).  Of course, this would mean finding different keys for
> fast-forward and rewind.

Sure, submit a patch.  I asked for people to do this back in, oh,
December/January.  Didn't happen then, I doubt it will happen now.

> Another huge annoyance is that the key for mute is "|".
> On UK keyboards you have to type SHIFT-\ to produce this character.
> Is it possible to have a single key for mute?
>
> This is means I can't get the Mute key working on my remote control!
> (because my control produces events on /dev/input/event0 I just map
> the keys to match mythtv, and avoid having to use lirc - this is
> impossible with the mute key because I can't reproduce SHIFT-\)

You can't have it produce the keycode for |, then?  That's broken.

Isaac