[mythtv-users] MythTV / HDTV: DVI vs S-Video Interface Suggestions

Doug Larrick doug at ties.org
Fri Oct 31 20:22:15 EST 2003

On 10/31/03 15:27:50, George Heeres wrote:

> Obviously there are the S-Video options:
> Then there are straight VGA output options:
>   - Use VGA to Component (Y-Pb-Pr) Output
>   - Use DVI to DVI cable

For HD content, the only way you're gonna get HDTV resolutions is via
VGA or DVI.  S-video is limited to 480i, which is fine (even great) for
standard-def programming.

I use the Key Digital VGA-to-component adaptor that you linked to.  A
little pricey, but does a nice job.  It simply does colorspace
conversion, no resolution or timing conversion at all -- this is nice
because then you have total control of overscan, etc. via the modeline.
I am connecting to a Sony KV-34XBR800, which is just about identical to
your set.  I tried for a month or so to get DVI working, but the set
does *not* send the proper DVI handshaking to get the card to output
resolutions it likes.  With the component converter, even the BIOS and
VGA-mode console show up properly on the set.

Bear in mind that nVidia cards (with XvMC) do *not* support interlaced
modes; I was unable to find another modern card that definitely does
under X, either.  So for 1080i you are stuck with 540p, either 960x540
for square pixels or 1920x540 for a pseudo-1080i resolution.  I think
with the new filtering code being put in we may find a way to do
"cheat" deinterlacing by sending the sequential fields as 1920x540
frames @ 60 Hz.  720p is converted internally (in the set) to 1080i, so
is also not ideal.

-Doug