[mythtv-users] MythTV / HDTV: DVI vs S-Video Interface Suggestions

Jim Paris jim at jtan.com
Fri Oct 31 15:54:02 EST 2003

> The TV has tons of inputs, including DVI and Component Video (YPrPb),
> along with the standard composite and S-Video inputs. My question is
> what's the best route to take for maximum picture quality/resolution:
>   - TV-Out via PVR-350
>     From what I understand, this is the BEST S-Video option out
>     there using the alpha ivtv drivers.

You lose the ability to play videos other than MPEG2, but yes, the
picture looks good and the hardware gets the frame timings right (no
more jitter).

> Then there are straight VGA output options:
>
>   - Use VGA to Component (Y-Pb-Pr) Output
..
>   - Use DVI to DVI cable

The TV either supports the type of DVI that's just analog VGA, or the
actual digital version, but it doesn't really matter, because they'll
look pretty similar at these low resolutions.  The real issue is that
you're going to have to do deinterlacing in software rather than
letting the progressive-scan TV do it, for two reasons: one, the TV
doesn't enable deinterlacing (for obvious reasons) in VGA mode, and
two, even if you do manage to setup XFree86 with an interlaced video
mode and get the TV to accept that, MythTV likely won't have accurate
enough timing when playing to display the fields at exactly the right
time.

So, my conclusions were:
PVR-350: lower quality than VGA, but perfect frame timing and TV
handles deinterlacing if necessary, no MPEG4
VGA: higher quality, but imperfect frame timing and deinterlacing,
displays anything.

-jim