[mythtv-users] IVTV Problem

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Oct 30 20:20:20 EST 2003

On Oct 29, 2003, at 10:01 AM, Torsten Schenkel wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 02:20, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:
>
>> Not good. I don't wanna go back either! But then I haven't had any
>> issues with either a VIA or nForce2 board. Perhaps there is more to
>> distribution selection than meets the eye...
>
> Well, maybe redhat has some code in their kernels that disables APIC on
> NForce2s. I wouldn't be surprised if RedHat did such a thing.

Neither would I. I really ought to read the kernel changelog... But I
don't have an entire day to spare. ;p

> But I like
> to know what patches are in my kernels.

Well, you can look at the spec file for Red Hat's kernels and see
exactly what they do...

> But don't let's start a
> distribution war on this list.

Definitely not my intention. I'm an advocate of "use whatever you
prefer", which I do apply to Windows folks also, though I often like to
drop comments about swiss-cheese as it relates to Microsoft security
practices... (Actually, I'm thinking it is more "kernel of choice" than
"distro of choice" :).

> My Mythbox runs on RH9, because I wanted
> CLE266 support, now I got rid of the stock kernel I could switch to
> debian, but I think I'll keep this for the next bare metal install.
> Since RH has apt now I can cope with it :-)

Yeah, I've become a HUGE fan of apt. I'm rather interested to see what
becomes of the recent plans to merge deb and rpm support into a single
apt codebase...

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE