[mythtv-users] Mandrake 9.1 LIRC headaches

Mark Edwards mark at edwards.homelinux.net
Thu Oct 30 19:44:57 EST 2003

I have to confess at this point having never installed Mandrake - and never
having experienced the headaches you are experiencing yourself now. My
heritage is primarily slackware and redhat with a brief dabble with debian
and FreeBSD. Current boxes are currently rh 8 and 9 - one firewall, one myth
box and a laptop thrown in for good measure. I agree that there is a lot to
be said for a distro that is not critically dependent on heavy
customisations at a kernel level. With rh it's perfectly possible to unbzip
a vanilla kernel and build away.

Please forgive the inevitable dig at the dozers, but really the whole point
of linux is that you know what's going on under the hood. If a vanilla
kernel breaks all sorts of stuff on your distro, what benefit is the
distribution bringing to the party over and above a proprietary OS?

I am no evangelist for any particular distro, but I would have to ask at
this point about the value Mdk is bringing to your objective of getting a
Myth box going...

Mark