[mythtv-users] Re: Timezones, wintertime & Timeoffset

Stefan Frank sfr+lists at 6913304088794.gnuu.de
Tue Oct 28 17:13:33 EST 2003

Hi,

Drew Whittle <drew at lug.net.nz> writes:

> On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 18:45, Isaac Richards wrote:
>
>> The correct solution (and the only one I'll accept) would be to fix tv_grab_sn
>> to produce numerical offsets instead of alphabetic timezone abbreviations.  I
>> believe that's required by the xmltv 0.6 spec anyway.
>
> Since you don't like the idea of an adjust option I had a look at the
> timezone support in mythfilldatabase, and I'm afraid it's all broken (if
> my limited c++ understanding is correct, corrections, advice
> appreciated)

'all broken'? Nah, not really. A semi-working feature sometimes is
better than none at all.

> I'll be fixing it and submitting a patch today hopefully.
>
> This is more of a heads up for people having problems than anything
> else.
>
> Details:
>
> Time Zones can't be more than 12 hours...some places (Eg NZ) are
> sometimes 13 hours

Hm, yes, but why sometimes? During daylight savings time?

> The input in xmltv is in the form of say +0930 (nine hours, 30 minutes),
> but mythfilldatabase doesn't convert this into minutes before comparing
> it to max allowed offset, so a lot of timezones get an "Invalid Offset"
> error. (eg 930(hrs) > 720(mins), but 570(mins) < 720(mins))
>
> It would appear (to me) that mythfilldatabase ignores the +/- options on
> timezones.

Not true afaik. I added support for minutes in timezone offsets merely
as an exercise, and it worked for me (but i don't need/use that feature).

Note that i consider my c++ understanding quite limited as well.
So feel free to send patches to fix/improve timezone support, that
can only be a good thing!

Bye, Stefan

--
It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God.
It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.

                                   -- Thomas Jefferson