[mythtv-users] nForce2 Chipset

Myster Man Xsecrets at softhome.net
Tue Oct 28 17:06:46 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 14:39, DanM wrote:

> >  one more thing I don't think it really should be neccesary, but I
> >  have the nvidia settings for connectedmonitor set to tv. That may not
> >  be the exact setting, look through the nvidia help file. one of the
> >  appendixes has all the tvout settings in it.
> >
> >  Also something I did change that would make a differance is that I
> >  changed the horz and vert refresh rates. I set them to what the
> >  nvidia file suggests. like 30-50 and 60
> Done both of those.  What has actually prompted my desire to use the
> actual nvidia x drivers as opposed to the open source ones is when I
> boot the pc, I've got the svid cable connected to the tv, I see
> everything just fine, but when x starts, it looks like its not sending
> out the right refresh rates for the tv to handle.  I set the horz and
> vert refresh rates to the ones suggested and played around with it a
> lot.  I'm hoping that the nvidia drivers will actually make this work right.

hmm that's odd. I did have some problems a while back with the nv
driver. and not being able to get it to work, but using either the vesa
or nvidia drivers I haven't had that problem as long as I used the
conservative refresh rates. I do have a hdtv, but those should work for
any tv's.

> > > What would disabling APIC in the bios do? Heck, what does the APIC
> > > control?
> >  well the part that seems to be giving people problems it the APIC-IO
> >  and I'm not deep enough to explain exactly what all that does, but
> >  from what I can tell the asus boards are bad about locking up if APIC
> >  is enabled. I have had no problems with my chaintek board. I haven't
> >  heard of anyone else using the AOpen, so I don't know about that.
> I'll try your suggestions tonight, if that doesn't work I'll disable
> apic and see if that fixes anything.  Funny thing is, I was about to buy
> the chaintech board you have, but didn't notice it until after my order
> had already shipped so I couldn't switch from the aopen to the chaintech.
>
> A word of caution to anyone considuring uATX boards: I wouldn't really
> recommend the AOpen MK79G-N to anyone.  Besides the engrish bios, and
> minimal documentation; its a real pain in the butt to configure the cpu
> and memory timings as it won't let you configure them independantly.
>
> Which case did you get?  I got the ATC-610.  Its a pimpin case.

Well that's the last thing on my list. Right now it's in a big ATX
tower. My girlfriend is getting sick of that so it'll have to go into a
better case in the rack soon, but I'm not nearly as smart as most of
these guys on this list so I haven't been able to con anyone into paying
me big bucks. LOL

but the one I want is the 610 I think it will go best in my setup.