[mythtv-users] Hardware Decode on Epia running Debian is working (sort of...)

Dan Fleming dfleming at swings.2y.net
Tue Oct 28 12:37:16 EST 2003

This post might be long, but there has to be others out there smarter
than I am trying to do something similar.

I have an Epia M9000 with a PVR-250 running Debian unstable (sid).

After reading a post from HJHopkins at the viaarena forums, he mentioned
he was able to install the binary kernel modules provided from Via with
a custom kernel using insmod -f.  I followed his instructions, and
compiled a 2.4.22 kernel after applying the agp/drm via patches.  After
installing the kernel I was able to insmod -f the videodev.o and
via_v4l_drv.o RedHat 9 kernel modules.  Then I copied over the RedHat 8,
4.2 X-windows modules to their proper locations.  X-windows comes up and
the logs show that agp and drm are enabled.  Everything seems happy.

I successfully compiled the MythTV v.12 sources with CLE266 hardware
decoding enabled and installed.  MythTV runs and *does* use the hardware
decoding.  here is my problem: watching Live TV there is a stutter about
every second with a "prebuffering pause" in the logs; very annoying.
Watching a recorded program the "prebuffering pause" does occur but very
infrequently.  Oddly watching Live TV with MythTV compiled *without*
hardware decoding worked much better at the same resolutions.

Will the PVR-250 and Epia ever play nice?  I am not sure what to do at
this point to address the prebuffering pause stutter.  Anyone have any
ideas?  Any of you RedHat folks have the same problem?

---Dan