[mythtv-users] Redhat 9/LIRC/Hauppauge PVR 250 issues (of course)

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Mon Oct 27 04:03:43 EST 2003

On Sunday, Oct 26, 2003, at 15:10 US/Pacific, Augustin Chan wrote:

> I'm having the darndest time trying to get this silly remote working.
> Anyway,
> I do the standard steps in the guide to try to get the lirc binaries:
>
> # apt-get install lirc-kmdl-$KERNEL
> # apt-get install lirc
>
> The first returns with an unable to find this package error.  I've
> read a very
> recent post on how to correct the issue by uncommenting the line that
> references at-bleeding for the apt-get program to look there as well,
> and now
> that part works.
>
> However, whenever I try to to send a signal from my remote to the IR
> receiver
> on the dongle attached to my card, I get nothing output to stdout.  I
> do notice
> that when I manually compile and install lirc (I tried both 0.6.6 and
> 0.7.0)
> and specify Hauppauge as my remote, a character mode device file is
> created for
> /dev/lirc.  This results in a a device file that I can't connect to at
> all when
> running irw (I get an unable to connect to socket).  In my logs I see
> that the
> lircd is running under a (Hauppauge) configuration.
>
> However, using the apt-get mechanism, a serial mode device file is
> created for
> /dev/lirc.  The irw program launches fine, but nothing is output to
> screen
> whenever I press the remote keys.  How does the apt-get mechanism know
> how to
> configure the device files?  Does it assume you have a certain brand
> of remote?
>  In my logs I see that lircd is running under a (pctv) configuration.
> Has
> anyone run into this issue before?

Yes. You have conflicting lirc parts installed. The pctv reference is
from the 0.6.6 lirc from FreshRPMs. You need to get that out of there,
and get the ATrpms 0.7.0pre2 version on there. The FreshRPMs one is
what created the serial mode /dev/lirc entry, rather than your
character device, I believe.

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE