[mythtv-users] IVTV Problem

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sun Oct 26 01:52:30 EST 2003

On Saturday, Oct 25, 2003, at 16:20 US/Pacific, Chris Delis wrote:

>>> I would be very interested in your experiences.  I recently
>>> installed an nForce2 board.  So far, I had to disable APIC in
>>> the kernel (I did so in the BIOS, too -- dunno if this was
>>> necessary) because I experienced some lockups.  I would welcome
>>> any and all further suggestions regarding this particular
>>> hardware and the MythTV suite.
>>
>> What distribution, and what kernel? I'm trying to figure out if there
>> are common threads...
>
> Debian stable (woody) running a custom 2.4.20 (with APIC disabled).
>
>> Oh, also, what board?
>
> ASUS A7N8X-X.

So people successfully running an nForce2 board all seem to either have
a 2.4.20 kernel with APIC disabled, or a 2.4.22 kernel, in which APIC
actually works. Or a Red Hat 2.4.20 kernel, with APIC in an unknown
state. My presumption is that Red Hat backported the vital APIC stuff
from 2.4.22, so their kernels are safe with nForce2 boards. Either
that, or APIC is disabled. I'll have to look into that (as well as
whether APIC is enabled or disabled in my BIOS)...

I've added the little bit that I had to do to get mine up and running
to my guide, but everything went so smoothly, there really isn't much
there. Anyone running an nForce2 board NOT in one of the configurations
above either successfully or unsuccessfully? I'm most interested in
people using nForce2 boards w/a Red Hat kernel that might be having
problems, but it wouldn't hurt to hear all stories.

For the record, I've had one other off-list contact that has had plenty
of lockups with Mandrake 9.1's latest kernel on an nForce2 board. He
had problems still w/APIC disabled in a custom-built kernel...

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...