[mythtv-users] problems installing on redhat9 w/apt

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sun Oct 26 01:42:12 EST 2003

On Saturday, Oct 25, 2003, at 22:33 US/Pacific, Alex Strasheim wrote:

>> It is posted. Get it while it's hot.
>
> Thanks...  I really like the guide, it's very helpful to have
> something that
> takes you from bare metal to a working system.

=]

> I don't know if this is my fault, or a problem with the apt databases,
> but I
> got a "Couldn't find package alsa-utils" error.

Hm... Odd. That package is actually pulled from FreshRPMs... Does your
/etc/apt/sources.list file contain an entry like this:

rpm http://ayo.freshrpms.net/ redhat/9/i386 freshrpms

?

That has to be there, or you won't find the package... If you have it
there, I'm not sure what's going on...

> Also, I'm confused by the sequence with lirc.  The guide has
> instructions
> for installing lirc in section 12, and the mythtv-suite install
> happens in
> section 10.

I need to do another bare-metal install myself, to figure out exactly
what the interaction between those two now is. I do believe part of the
mythtv-suite install pulls in lirc, but I'm not certain what anymore...

> I'm not sure how to query apt about version numbers

# apt-cache policy package-you-want-info-about

Example:

# apt-cache policy mythtv-suite
mythtv-suite:
   Installed: 0.12-33.rh9.at
   Candidate: 0.12-33.rh9.at
   Version Table:
  *** 0.12-33.rh9.at 0
         100 RPM Database
      0.11-30.rh9.at 0
         996 http://apt.physik.fu-berlin.de redhat/9/en/i386/at-testing
pkglist

> but this is what I
> could find out about the failure of mythtv-suite to install.
>
> "apt-get install mythtv-suite" failed, so I ran:
> "apt-get install mythvideo", which also failed.  It told me that it
> needs
> "mplayer", so I tried:
> "apt-get install mplayer" and got:

>   mplayer: Depends: liblirc_client.so.0 but it is not installable
>            Depends: lirc but it is not installable
> E: Broken packages

Certainly please try:

# apt-cache policy lirc

And let me know what you get for output.

> and:
>
> [root at localhost root]# apt-get install liblirc_client.so.O
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> E: Couldn't find package liblirc_client.so.O

No, there is no liblirc_client package, it is something that should be
provided by the lirc package...

> [root at localhost root]# apt-get install lirc
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> Package lirc has no available version, but exists in the database.
> This typically means that the package was mentioned in a dependency and
> never uploaded, has been obsoleted or is not available with the
> contents
> of sources.list
> E: Package lirc has no installation candidate

Uncomment this line in /etc/apt/sources.list:

rpm http://apt.physik.fu-berlin.de/ redhat/9/en/i386 at-bleeding

Then run "apt-get update" and try everything again...

> Finally, this command from Section 12 didn't run:
>
> [root at localhost root]# apt-get install lirc-kmdl-$KERNEL
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> E: Couldn't find package lirc-kmdl-2.4.20-20_29.rh9.at

Should work after enabling at-bleeding. Definitely some confusion going
on, and I'll try to do a bare-metal install myself tomorrow to get a
better grasp of why folks are having so many problems of late. The new
revision of my guide posted this evening *should* address some of the
problems, so that'll be what I follow if I get a chance to do a
bare-metal install of my own tomorrow.

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE