[mythtv-users] Lost audio on Pundit SPDIF audio out.

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sun Oct 26 01:24:02 EST 2003

On Saturday, Oct 25, 2003, at 22:45 US/Pacific, Gary Raposo wrote:

> At 02:02 am 25/10/2003, you wrote:
>> On Friday, Oct 24, 2003, at 22:36 US/Pacific, Gary Raposo wrote:
>>
>>> I'm about ready to give up here so I thought I'd shoot my situation
>>> out over the list to see if anyone else has experienced this.  Had
>>> MythTV v.011 up and running and all was great!  Then all of a
>>> sudden... no sound!  The system was "in production" so it's not like
>>> I was tinkering with it at the time so this was a little bit of a
>>> shock.
>>
>> Ah, but you were indeed tinkering. You just installed a new version
>> of ALSA.
>
> You got me!  But in my defence, it was only after the problem
> surfaced.  So for all intents and purposes, the problem occured at
> ALSA 0.9.7.  I upgraded to 0.9.8 to see if that would help solve the
> problem.

=]

>>> I checked alsamixer and the settings were unchanged (unmuted master,
>>> master m, and PCM).  The interesting thing is that if I plug in some
>>> headphones or computer speakers I can hear the audio so it really
>>> seems like it's not a hardware problem.
>>
>> They're changed. But only very slightly. I had something similar
>> happen when I bumped up from 0.9.7 with my Audigy. Everything looked
>> the same in the settings, but the digital output was disabled. Look
>> in alsamixer for a digital output setting toward the far right. I
>> betcha it is set to mute/off.
>
> I looked and I believe that I've unmuted all the necessary options...
> still no joy!

Damn.

> Here's the output of amixer info and amixer scontents... so you see
> anything wrong?

Only that I don't see an entry that appears to definitely correlate to
your digital output. For my Audigy, there is an entry specifically for
the digital out...

> [root at mythtv root]# amixer scontents

[snip]

> Simple mixer control 'IEC958',0
>   Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-joined
>   Playback channels: Mono
>   Capture channels: Mono
>   Mono: Playback [on] Capture [off]
> Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Input Monitor',0
>   Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
>   Playback channels: Mono
>   Mono: Playback [on]
> Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Playback AC97-SPSA',0
>   Capabilities: volume volume-joined
>   Playback channels: Mono
>   Limits: 0 - 3
>   Mono: 3 [100%]

[snip]

> Simple mixer control 'Analog to IEC958 Output',0
>   Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
>   Playback channels: Mono
>   Mono: Playback [on]

So far as I know, the amixer contents that I left above are the ones
that have anything to do with optical audio (deduced from looking at my
Audigy's output; I'm not really certain). But they all appear to be on,
so I'm rather confused. :-\

I say, when in doubt, turn on EVERYTHING in alsamixer. See if it works
at that point, then start shutting off stuff you think you don't need,
until you lose audio again... Sorry, I thought I had an easy fix... :(

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...