[mythtv-users] PVR Box Parts, pending approval

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sat Oct 25 19:02:06 EDT 2003

On Saturday, Oct 25, 2003, at 16:58 US/Pacific, Dan Berger wrote:

> I have just put together a list of all the hardware I will be using
> for my PVR boxat
> http://octane.theidiots.org/etc/pvr.html
>
> Could I please get some feedback on it?

Should be fine. Personally, while not absolutely necessary, I recommend
more than 256MB of RAM, just to be certain there won't much swapping
necessary. With a single tuner, I doubt it would be a problem though.

> I plan to be running RH9
>
> Two questions already:
> -Is it worth to invest in the PVR350?

I can't really say for certain. You've already got a TV-Out capable
card selected (I presume the Gainward GF4MX has TV-Out, anyhow), and a
processor with more than enough juice to decode files, so you don't
really need the decoder or TV-Out. Someone with more GF4MX vs. PVR-350
TV-Out experience would have to comment on relative picture quality of
the two. I believe once you have the 350 TV-Out set up, you can
completely do away with the other card, but you'll still need something
other than the 350 for the initial install (unless you're REALLY good
and crafty w/driver disks at install time).

> -Should I consider gentoo instead of rh9?

Only if you really like to make your life (and your PVR) way more
complicated than necessary. Outside of personal preference, I don't
really see any reason to go with Gentoo over RHL9, but one could argue
that I'm heavily biased toward Red Hat, for numerous reasons. I'm
probably starting a religious war with that statement... ;p

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...