[mythtv-users] Streaming Live TV

Albert Santoni gamegod at sympatico.ca
Sat Oct 25 14:24:11 EDT 2003

Darren Vincent Hart wrote:

>MythTV gurus,
>
>I am building a home media network with a backend server and several
>(~10) client machines.  I would like to make the clients as "thin" as
>possible.  Can MythTV stream live TV from on of the backend server tuner
>cards to the thin clients (that do not have tuner cards)?  Or will I
>need to have a tuner card in every client if they are to watch live TV?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Darren

Yep, you can stream Live-TV (and recordings) to MythTV machines that
don't have tuners - it's easy to do, too!

http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-5.html#ss5.4
Read the "Frontend-only configuration" section to find out what the
prerequisites are, and how to do it.

If you just want to mess around first, try Knoppmyth
(http://mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html) - a bootable Linux distro that
can run just as a frontend, connecting to another backend machine.

Good luck,

Albert Santoni