[mythtv-users] Lost audio on Pundit SPDIF audio out.

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Sat Oct 25 03:39:09 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-24 at 23:02, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:
> They're changed. But only very slightly. I had something similar happen
> when I bumped up from 0.9.7 with my Audigy. Everything looked the same
> in the settings, but the digital output was disabled. Look in alsamixer
> for a digital output setting toward the far right. I betcha it is set
> to mute/off.

And sometimes I ask myself why it is that I disabled the part of
/etc/modules.conf that stores the alsa config back...

relevant section:

post-install snd-card-0 /usr/bin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>& 1 ||:
#pre-remove snd-card-0 /usr/bin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 ||:

If you've got the asound.state file from a known, good config, restore
it to the sound card.  After enough random ALSA failures, I realized
that not only did I not care about storing the sound state, I didn't
want to store it at all, given that it wouldn't buy me anything.

> I have a feeling you just need to turn the digital output back on, and
> all should be well. I believe this is a recent change in ALSA, because
> previous ALSA updates didn't do quite the same for me (it often liked
> to re-mute everything, rather than just disabled digital out).

I agree with Jarod here.  If it's working, just store the alsa config,
don't set it to restore, and save a copy of the /etc/asound.state file
someplace else JUST IN CASE.

Because, as most people on this list who have had to deal with Digital
output through ALSA know, ALSA can be a serious nightmare to configure.

	-Ian
--
                       Ian Forde, RHCE, CCSE, SCNA, SCDME
                       ian at duckland.org / ian at cytben.com