[mythtv-users] Need advice in selecting proper hardware

Jerry Rubinow htpc at pondmanor.com
Fri Oct 24 19:48:13 EDT 2003

I want to set up a system configured as follows.

Backend computer with two tuner cards (maybe a 250 and a 350) and plenty
of storage.  Hidden away in a back room and connected to my home
network.
Two diskless frontends, one at each of the two TVs in my house, one
hardwired into the network, one possibly by 802.11g.

I'm considering either one of the EPIA motherboards or the ASUS Pundit
for the frontends, and I'm wondering what the best choice for me would
be.

Factors to consider right now for the frontends:

-must be able to handle decoding mpeg-2 cleanly.
-would like enough horsepower to decode mpeg-4, divx, etc.
-5.1 sound output (I believe this shouldn't be a problem)
-want to handle the full suite of Myth addons, except DVD burning

Factors for the future:

-if I ever get an HDTV, it would be nice to be able to decode the above
formats at HDTV resolutions.

Since the frontends wouldn't be doing any recording themselves or
sending any data to the backend, all their cycles would be available for
video decoding.

Which EPIAs would have enough speed for Right Now, and which for Future
needs, and which CPUs would be able to handle these two cases in the
Pundit system?

Thanks,
-Jerry