[mythtv-users] RPM packages?

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Oct 23 14:56:37 EDT 2003

On Thursday, Oct 23, 2003, at 12:07 US/Pacific, Brad Sagowitz wrote:

> Jarod Wrote:
>
> "An alternative, which would also achieve much of the same goal (save
> bandwidth and time) would be to kick off an install on one machine,
> then just copy the files it downloads over to the other machines before
> starting them on their way. All the packages are stored in
> /var/cache/apt/archives. (You could also get creative w/an NFS share,
> etc, etc)."
>

> hmmm this is interesting... so in theory:
> if I have a mythbox already setup and working on .11,  I can first do a
> dist-upgrade to make sure the system is up2date sans mythtv.12
> have them install RH9
> have them install kickstart apt package
> have them uncomment the bleeding repository
> have them copy over the files from my /var/cache/apt/archives dir
> have them do a apt-get update
> then have them do a apt-get dist-upgrade
> then finally apt-get install myth-suite
>
> this sound about right... if it is I'm excited.

Yep, that sounds about right to me. And setting up an apt repo looks
less than trivial (thank you for the info, Axel!), so this is probably
a route that'll result in less lost sleep and hair, though a repo might
be worth the effort if you anticipated doing this frequently. I think
I'll venture down the 'create my own repo' road here shortly...

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...