[mythtv-users] RPM packages?

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Oct 23 03:25:52 EDT 2003

On Thursday, Oct 23, 2003, at 01:33 US/Pacific, Ian Forde wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 23:17, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:
>> Yep. Followed by an "apt-get update" of course. All's well with it for
>> me so far, aside from not yet figuring out the new MythVideo interface
>> completely just yet...
>
> Aww... cmon!  It's been there for months now! ;)

I presume you mean the MythVideo interface... I just haven't mucked
around with it much of late. My big problem right now is that every
single movie file out of roughly 200 shows up with absolutely no
information in the video manager, where I used to at least get the file
name... (still investigating)

> Besides, it's
> definitely got a serious "impress your friends" aspect to it... As a
> Tivo owner who used to preach Tivo to my friends, I now preach mythtv
> the techno-savvy - I've got 2 friends building them now and a couple
> more in the planning stages... the hard part is convincing them to not
> to use the releases, since CVS is usually where the action (read: Good
> Stuff[TM]) is!! ;)

True. Though I usually stick w/the releases on my "production" system
(the one hooked to the big-screen) and use CVS on one or more of my
other systems. Otherwise, I end up upsetting the wife if/when I break
stuff. :)

> One quick note here though - (this is more for Axel than you Jarod...)
> for the 0.12 RPMs, it might be better to leave xvmc off

Yes, after a bit of further research, it was decided to leave XvMC off,
so the only included extras are native lirc and alsa. But when they
become available, people can use rpmbuild --rebuild --with-xvmc
mythtv-0.12...src.rpm or something of that nature to add XvMC if they
like. I still have to set up my system to work with native lirc, but
native alsa works just peachy. As an added bonus, the alsafied rpms
also work just fine on a system without alsa, using Red Hat native OSS.

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...