[mythtv-users] Help with Lirc installation

Chris Delis chris at delis.net
Wed Oct 22 11:11:55 EDT 2003

> On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 14:31, Chris Delis wrote:
> > Torsten,
> >
> > Do you use PVR350's TVOUT?  Do you experience any problems with it at all?
> > I know it's a new addition to Myth but I am trying to figure out what
> > is wrong with my system in particular if it works perfectly for others.
> > I don't want to waste my time poking around the code (although it is
> > forcing me to learn more about the system) if it's "just me" having
> > this problem.
> >
> > I posted a thread (where so far I am talking to myself :-), called:
> > PVR350 Timing issues? (WatchingLiveTV->None->RecordingOnly and vice-versa)
> >
> > So far my take is that either there are few people using this or that I'm
> > the only poor soul with this problem (or people are just ignoring the thread
> > which, of course, is a genuine possibility! :-).
> >
> > Chris
> >

> I only got my 350 last week.  Now I have a 250 and a 350.  I have tv-out
> working and it looks great.  I cannot tell the difference between it and
> regular tv.  I saw the above-mentioned thread but at the time I had
> nothing to contribute so I kept my emouth shut.
>
> I guess I still don't have much to contribute except that the 350 looks
> great and it is not hard to set up.  DO NOT run it on a "mission
> critical" machine though.  I have noticed that the backend crashes
> sometimes.  which is a lot worse than the front end crashing IMO 'cause
> you'll miss taping something.
>
> In short, the 350-tvout works for testing.  it looks great and I did not
> think it was hard to set up (although maybe I got lucky).  just read the
> instructions in the file ivtv-fb.c
>

> -jose-

Thank you SO much for replying!  :-)  I was going schizo there for a bit.
I agree, the steps were not difficult.  I was able to get the TVOUT working
and it really IS amazing how good the quality is.  That is why I am buying
a new motherboard.  I believe I have been bitten by the DMA bug (VIA chipset).
I also agree that frontend crashes are not that big of a deal.  What I have
been doing in the meantime was to limit use of LiveTV and use myth only for
playback and recording.  I noticed most of my problems when LiveTV was
running.