[mythtv-users] The cost of having fun, and watching TV.

Christopher Maahs cmaahs at eatenbygrue.com
Tue Oct 21 09:19:55 EDT 2003

Since getting back to MythTV after trying to get my XBOX IR device to work
with my TiVo remote I finally decided it was time to go all out and get
what I really wanted.  Just thought I'd share my expense list so far, for
those who want an idea of what they will be spending eventually! ;)

I, like many others on this list, was looking for a way to not purchase a
second TiVo just to record two programs at once.  And of course not have
to purchase HMO (Home Media Option) for each TiVo to share the recordings.
When first discovering MythTV one doesn't really realize how very much
more it does than the TiVo.

My first entry into the PVR arena was the TiVo, purchased for $350 - $50
rebate.  And of course that comes with the $12.95/month cost as well.
My wife of course thought I was nuts to even want this thing.  But it only
took her a few days to suddenly start adding programs with higher priority than
mine.  Huston, we have a problem...

It was at this point that I stumbled upon MythTV, $50 later and a re-task
of one of my spare machines and I was recording shows and viewing them on
a 17" monitor.  After reading here for awhile, I decided to try the X-Box
as a front-end.  While it worked great, the one thing that I really wanted
was to use the TiVo remote.  I was never able to get that going, so I
scrapped that idea.

So, I was back to needing a front-end solution and the Pundit was looking
more and more attractive.  First because it looks nice, and second because
there are a large number of people using it.

So, on to my total cost of getting MythTV going...

TiVo                         - $300 (this lead me to MythTV)
X-Box & Modchips             - $240
Packard Bell IR              - $20 (two remotes & receivers)
DirectTiVo Remotes (2)       - $36 (ebay purchase)
Misc Cables & 2-way splitters- $60
WinTV Go 190                 - $49 (my first capture card)

Final Backend System
--------------------
Dell Dimension 2400 2.2GHz, 256MB memory, 40GB disk

 - I did some tech work for a local business and took this on trade.
 - I purchased two 200GB drives to this unit.
 - I also purchased two PVR-350s.

 Cost: $840 (two drives & PVRs)

Pundit Front-end Systems
Pundit, 2.8GHz P4, 512MB, PVR-350

 - I put in existing 40GB drives into the front-end units.
 - I also put in existing DVD-ROM drives.

 Cost: $875 each (x2)

Makes those systems that the Italian guy was selling look pretty
reasonable ;)  I guess I should write some of this off as education and
fun, since getting it all running is a blast!

~cj