[mythtv-users] Help me solve this mess...

Christopher Maahs cmaahs at eatenbygrue.com
Tue Oct 21 07:43:15 EDT 2003

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Duarte Cordeiro wrote:

{info clipped, comments inline}

> Questions: (where do I start)
>
>  a) the "ideal" solution would be to have the server act as a mythtv
> server, and the pundit + bedroom pc acting as fronteends to the TV sets.
> So, imagining that the server hardware is supported in linux, and that I
> put the hauppauge in there, I don't need to buy a new video card for the
> server, don't I ? Because the server is only decoding/encoding, correct
> ? But, do I need to buy a good sound card to use in the backend ? Or its
> the same as with the video?

New video card: no
Good sound card: no

The server will really only be doing encoding (actually the PVR will) and
the frontend machines will do the decoding during playback.

The PVRx50 devices grab sound directly, so no sound card interface is
required to capture the sound stream.

>  b) One of the requisits is to be able to watch DVDs using the SONY dvd
> player, and tv directely in the PHILIPS tv set. So, I must have the DVD
> connected directely to the TV set. Also, I need to connect the setup box
> to the tv set, to be able to view the pay channels. But, then, how can I
> record or view the pay channels in the pundit if the signal isn't
> decoded ? :( Any solution ?
>
>  c) Any idea on how to connect everything ? I'm a little lost... I
> don't have cables to connect things yet, because I need to buy them :).
> But I don't know what to buy. Any suggestion on the interconection stuff
> ?

I'll leave these questions to those who have similar setups.

~cj