[mythtv-users] Frontend lockup when deleting recordings

Joseph Caputo caputo at qedinfo.com
Mon Oct 20 17:25:40 EDT 2003

Well, you're watching a previously recorded program, not LiveTV, so what do
you need a tuner for?  Both tuners should continue recording whatever they
were recording; you should be able to watch as many different programs as
you want without interfering.  So, no pop-up box required; that's only for
LiveTV.  The only question is: does your system have enough power (CPU, IO
bandwidth, memory) to simultaneously record 2 programs while watching a
third.  You've cut your system specs out of the thread in this message, so I
can't say, but I see below that at least one of your tuners is a TV Wonder,
and it looks like maybe the second one is a PVR-250, correct?  With
good-to-average capture settings, I'd say you'd probably want a 2GHz
machine; you might squeak by with 1.5GHz.

BTW, how did you determine that the 2nd show stopped recording when you
started watching a previously recorded show?

> Now, after 10:30am which is when the 2nd show finished, I went to
> view it,
> hitting I shows only 2.75 minutes recorded. When it got to that
> point in the
> recording the frontend froze, I had to alt-f4 out, restart the
> frontend, I
> then go into delete recordings, select the truncated show, space
> bar, yes to
> delete and front end hangs again (this was at 10:55). Only way
> out is killall
> frontend. Go back, it's 11:02 all shows should be finished
> recording, repeat
> last step. Start frontend, go to watch tv, it comes up using second tuner
> (ati tv wonder - I can tell by the video quality and the noise on some
> channels), exit out of that, go to delete recordings, frontend hangs.
> Restart frontend, go to recorded programs, frontend hangs.
>
> Look at comp, hdd light is still running, so a recording is
> ongoing, fire up
> mythweb to see what's recording, get error that mythweb can't connect to
> backend, do mythbackend status, it shows as running fine, and a ps shows
> mysql running fine. Now I'll wait until after 12:00 and try again.
>
> Okay going into recorded programs or delete programs causes frontend lock
> requiring a killall.
>
> Going to live tv mode results in black screen (so likely an IVTV issue),
> reboot machine, all is fine again, just seems to be a problem
> deleting while
> recording.

Whoa, you've got too many variables here.  I really think you need to get
some backtraces, if you're having lockups and crashes.  My head hurts just
trying to follow what you did.  Try solving one problem at a time.  Enable
verbose logging in mythbackend and see if that is at all informative for
you.

Good luck,

JAC